The Scarlet Dagger by Krystle Jones



The Scarlet DaggerThe Scarlet Dagger by Krystle Jones

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This book was like a hidden treasure, unexpected, and totally awesome.

Sloane McAllister had a pretty good life; she lived with her twin brother Orion and her father. She had always resented her mother because she left their family to be in the military. Sloane's mother got pregnant with twins by a black man when she was 18, and her parents kicked her out. Although her mother said she left to make money, she didn't care about the money all she cared about was family. Sloane's life was pretty good other than that fact until the night when Vampire Rogues attacked everyone killing her twin brother Orion and his best friend Rook. Sloane and her father escaped in their car and made it to safety. Sloane still felt guilt for her brother's death and felt like it was her fault.

Sloane finally decides to leave the safety of the White Sector of which her mother is the leader, and venture into the Red Sector (home of the Vampires) to look for her brother Orion. While on the ride to the Red Sector her best friend Leo called asking why his father's Scarlet Dagger was missing, and he figures out her plan and notifies her mother to try to stop her. Despite the warning to the Scarlet Guard, Sloane manages to slip past the guard into the Red Sector only to find a Vampire Rogue who wants to kill her. She kills him with The Scarlet Dagger (Scarlet steel is designed to kill Vampires, and if stuck deep enough it can burn them from the inside out). After this she decides to return to her old home. When she steps foot into her old home she is flooded with memories of the past, and wishes things were the way they used to be.

Sloane was so caught up in memories that she barely noticed that someone was in the house with her, and when she turned to fight she is surprised to find that it is a Vampire who looks and talks just like her. All of this time she thought that Vampires were just soulless animals who kill and give in to blood-lust. While fighting the Vampire he turns her into one which goes against her very being, seeing how she is a Vampire Hunter sworn to kill the monsters who prey on innocent people.

Aden is a Captain in the Underground Vampire Community and the Vampire who turned Sloane. When Sloane wakes up in a hospital, and doesn't remember anything except that she was turned into a Vampire she tries to escape twice. Both times Aden saves her life. Aden is placed as the guardian of Sloane because he was the one to stick up for her. When Sloane actually gets to know Aden her perspective and feelings on Vampires start to change. Sloane quickly realizes that the Vampires underground acted more human and caring than the humans she knew. Torn between loyalty, love, guilt, and pain Sloane must make the choice whether she will forsake mankind and all that she has ever fought for and believed in.

Living underground with all of the Vampires has shown Sloane that not all Vampires are bad, just like all Humans aren't good. These Vampires are totally not what she expected and she soon starts to care for them.

The end was totally mind blowing. I never expected what happened was going to happen. There are many secrets and mysteries that are uncovered in the end. I wish that I could tell you but you just have to read to understand. This was a perfect ending to lead in a series or a sequel, and I am really excited about the next book. I love the world that Krystle Jones had created, it's not your ordinary Vampire World. I love it! This book is different and unique. If you love action packed, adrenaline rushing, love twinged YA books than this is definitely for you! The characters of Sloane and Aden are totally meant for each other, and I can't wait to see where their relationship goes. I love your Vampire World Krysle!

View all my reviews

2 comments

  1. Krystle has great writing skills and I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed this book so much! I loved it as much as "Veiled Innocence" and if you haven't read it yet you should, it's soooo good! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she has great writing skills too! It's good to hear that you love it too (: I haven't read Veiled Innocence but now I will have to check it out, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.