Kayla: Welcome Ladies to Simply Kayla’s Book Reviews, thanks for coming out to answer some questions!
(EE Ladies):
Thanks for having us, Kayla!
Thanks for having us, Kayla!
Kayla: First I would like to know how your group of Erotic Writers came together. (I think that it’s awesome.)
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) I posted shout outs with authors I was currently blogging with and on an erotica forum on savvyauthors.com. Later, a few authors came to find the group from word of mouth through authors already involved. We’ve had four or five others in the group that didn’t stay, for various reasons, but the core have been here from the very beginning.
(Danielle) I saw C.J.’s post on savvyauthors.com and emailed her for more information. She explained the premise of what she planned and, despite having never written anything erotic before, decided to jump into the deep end with her. I’m an EE lifer. ;) One of the originals. (lol…clearly I watch too much Vampire Diaries)
Kayla: Did you choose the Erotic genre or did it choose you? (I love The Vampire Diaries too ;D)
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) I’d say it chose me. I wrote some pretty steamy, graphic sex scenes in my first book. My peers, readers, editors, and small publishers were the ones who told me time and again “you should write erotica.” I figured what the hey, I’d give it a shot.
(Boone): In this case, it chose me. I struggled with writing sex scenes before joining EE. There is a real art to it. When done right, erotica can be an entertaining and emotional read.
(Marissa): I did intentionally choose the Erotic genre. Though I’d written plenty of sex before and some romance, I’d never intentionally written an erotic story until C.J. Ellisson suggested the idea of Everything Erotic to me. Years ago I’d tried to write what I now realize was an attempt at an erotic horror novel (though bizarrely at the time I’d not realized I was attempting the erotic genre). I finished the novel but it would need a total rewrite if it were to ever see the light of day! Since then I hope I’ve at least taken some steps to perfect my craft.
Kayla: How did you come up with the name “Everything Erotic”?
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) Gosh, it’s been so long I don’t recall exactly. I think we all brainstormed and this was the name everyone liked best.
Kayla: Personally, I love the Erotica genre. How do other people usually respond to this genre of writing?
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) Different strokes for different folks. Our readers find us because they like the genre, those that don’t usually run the other way. And some scream more loudly as they run.
(Marissa): I am careful about whom I tell; for example, I wouldn’t feel comfortable telling the headmaster at my daughter’s school that I write erotica for a living! I write in two different genres in two different names, so I can still tell some people I’m an author without disclosing exactly what I write. Unfortunately though, my other genre is horror and sometimes I think that gets as much of a reaction as admitting to the erotica would!
(Melissa): Just today, an Amazon reviewer used the words “vulgar and filthy” to describe an anthology I took part in. I, personally, took that as a compliment. I’ve had mostly positive responses to my work, overall. It’s definitely not for everyone but the market demand is pretty strong.
Kayla: I am in the process of reading all of the Everything Erotic Issues (I really like them so far, they are HOT), do you guys have a set time when each issue comes out or do you just publish it when you finish it?
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) Thank you! It’s a huge compliment to hear someone likes the work enough to keep going with the series. Originally we published one per month. When the first year rolled around and we realized we’d have thirteen books out we re-compiled them into quarterly editions and gave them new covers.
(Danielle) We originally started with putting out the eBooks at the end of each month. Like C.J. said, we realized how many books we had out at the end of our first year and scaled them down to quarterly editions. Moving forward from our one year anniversary, we made the decision to go with the quarterly format instead of monthly.
Kayla: Do you guys have a writing process? If so, what is it?
(EE Ladies):
(Danielle) I’m very much a pantser, although lately I’ve started doing a bit of plotting. I got stuck when I was writing Cassiela, the second book in my Abbey of Angels series, and found that doing a little plotting helped me finish it.
(Melissa): For me, music is important. It sets the tone for what I’m going to write. I also have to have coffee and socks on my feet. J For some reason, I can’t write barefoot.
Kayla: Are there any authors that have inspired your writing?
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) For me, the masters of the genre are Emma Holly and Portia DeCosta.
(Melissa): Sandra Brown writes some of the hottest sex I’ve read. She definitely inspires me when I sit down to pen an erotic story. In writing overall, Nora Roberts, Stephen King and Dean Koontz have been big influences on me.
Kayla: What would you say to someone who has never read the Erotic genre and are willing to give it a try?
(EE Ladies):
(Boone): Keep an open mind and understand that it takes talent to make a story enjoyable, whether it’s erotica, science fiction, or mainstream fiction.
(Danielle) I agree with Boone. No matter the genre, it takes a lot of talent and skill to write a book. Anyone can sit down and tap out a hundred thousand words. To make it enjoyable, that’s a gift not everyone is blessed with.
(Melissa): Don’t read it in the lunchroom at work. Try it at home first. There’s nothing like trying to explain away a red face to a room full of people.
Kayla: I know that you are a group and write Erotic short stories together, how many of you write your own books?
(EE Ladies):
(Boone): I write for Entangled Publishing as well. I have a fantasy series, which is not erotica, releasing over the next year with them. Book one, Shield of Fire, is already out. I also have another story releasing with them in April. All profits go to Autism NOW, to benefit awareness for autism.
Plus there are several self-pubbing ventures in the making.
(Marissa): Most of us write our own books as well as contributing to the Everything Erotic titles. I write my own erotica and romance in the M.K. Elliott name, and I have several novels and short story collections in my paranormal (non-erotic) Marissa Farrar name.
Kayla: I’ve never heard of a group of women who write short stories together, not to mention EROTIC short stories. I think this was an awesome idea!
Kayla: Where do you guys get your ideas for each short story?
(EE Ladies):
(C.J.) Personally, I struggle with shorts. Some members in the group have mastered sprinkling just enough background in to a hot sex scene to draw the reader in, but I’m still learning how to do it well. I’m rather verbose and my works tend to be serial pieces (which turn into novellas) or sex toy reviews. Most of my ideas come from personal experience and a vivid imagination. ;-)
(Marissa): I tend to write short stories, unlike some of the other ladies who write serials, so I literally just write whatever has inspired me that month.
Kayla: Are there any current or upcoming projects that you guys would like to tell us about?
(EE Ladies):
(Danielle) For me, I’m starting edits on Cassiela soon and working on a novella about Brody, the hero from Ardeur. Quite a few of my readers expressed a love of his character and wanted to know more about him. I’m giving them that with a novella about his life before Ardy’s appearance in it.
(Melissa): I’m working on the fourth book in my Seduction in Memory Grove Series. I anticipate a summer release.
Kayla: Thank you guys for coming out and answering some questions here at Simply Kayla’s Book Reviews. I wish you the best of luck, and will be keeping tabs on your blog to see if anything new comes out!
-Thank you ladies so much for chatting with me (:
-Thank you ladies so much for chatting with me (:
-If you want to connect with these awesome writers here are some links to help you do so.
Everything Erotic Blog
Everything Erotic Facebook Page
Everything Erotic Twitter Page
The Writer's About Me Page
Click on the links below to connect with each lady from Everything Erotic on Goodreads:
Boone Brux's Goodreads Page
Danielle Gavan's Goodreads Page
CJ Ellisson's Goodreads Page
Delilah Devlin's Goodreads Page
Melissa Ecker's Goodreads Page
Marissa Farrar's Goodreads Page
Jaxon Vail's Goodreads Page
Greta Goddard's Goodreads Page
M.K. Elliot's Goodreads Page
Nickie Asher's Goodreads Page
Scarlett Jameson's Goodreads Page
Whitley Gray's Goodreads Page
Please feel free to leave a comment in the comments section below if you have any questions for me or our fabulous guests. I would love to hear from you guys and I'm sure they would too.

Post a Comment