SKBR: What inspired you to write your first book? What is the name of your first book?
Julia: Ah well, the first book I wrote is a nonfiction book about my unusual experiences as a hospice nurse. But, the first romance I ever wrote is Anytime Darlin', although Captured is my first officially published romance. Anytime Darlin' is a work of romantic suspense that had been floating around in my head for a long time. I had this image of a young woman escaping from a man who held her prisoner. The story sort of began there and moved forward. Plus there's just something I love about lost loves!
SKBR: What was you favorite book to read?
Julia: My favorite book to read? I have four and I re-read them every single year - Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte, Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott, Dune, by Frank Herbert, and Shogun, by James Clavell.
SKBR: What are some of your favorite Authors/Books?
Julia: When it comes to romance, I adore Linda Howard. She was the first romance author I read. I'm especially a fan of her books, Kill and Tell and After the Night. I love Cheryl Lynn's book, The Other Laura. It's one of those great switched identity books. I also like Karen Marie Moning's Highlander series.
SKBR: What are you currently working on?
Julia: I'm currently revising a four-book series - science fiction romance, my Daughters of Persephone series which was previously published, along with a contemporary, Beauty and the Feast, also previously published. I have another science fiction series in the works along with another story of romantic suspense.
SKBR: Do you have someone who has inspired you to write?
Julia: I guess that would be my grandmother! She wrote plays, articles, poetry... she was very far-thinking, but unfortunately grew up in a culture that encouraged women to be homemakers. However my father is a good writer and my uncle was a journalist. My father always told me to write. In college I majored in Creative Writing/Ethnic Literature, but could not get a job after graduation. I went back to college to become a nurse.
SKBR: You have published books by both Traditional publishing and self-publishing. Which do you like better and why?
Julia: Hmmmm. I like the freedom that comes with self-publishing. It's a little more work, but frankly, not all that much more work. Even if your book is with a publisher, most of the promotion falls on you, so... And once you find an editor you like, you don't feel as if you need to rely upon a publisher to help you edit your book. I've never had a huge issue with editing anyway. I worked with some great writers/professors in college and they whipped me into shape when it came to editing.
SKBR: Which book of yours would you suggest someone read if they have never read any of your books before?
Julia: Oh Captured, without a doubt. It really is my favorite story and it seems to be every reader's favorite story.
SKBR: Do you enjoy reader interaction? What types of things do you hear from your readers?
Julia: I love hearing from readers and the truth is, I don't hear from them all that often. Hey, readers, if you enjoy a book, let the author know. You can't imagine how much we appreciate hearing from you.
SKBR: Do you have any advice for aspiring writers?
Julia: Advice? I'm awful at giving advice. I guess my advice is don't write crap. Put out your best work. Don't think you can dump poorly written and unedited junk on readers - they are very smart and they won't be happy with you.
SKBR: What is the ideal place for you to write, generally how much do you write in a month? (Asking because I'm REALLY anxious to read more of your writing :D)
Julia: I write at home in my kitchen, with my cat sitting on a place mat next to me and my dog chasing his tail two feet away, or as we like to call it, chail tasing! I'm easily distracted, very ADD-ish, so I need noise to concentrate against. If you put me in a library, I'll be tearing my hair out within two minutes. I write as much as I can, which varies because I have a family and I'm pretty busy. I try to write one to three hours a day, and that includes edits. If I don't have time to write, no big deal. I'll get to it when I get to it.
Julia: Thanks so much, Kayla! Happy reading!
What can I say about me? I’m married to the love of my life. We have three amazing children. I don’t just write; I’m a registered nurse, I’ve owned a catering company and restaurant, worked as a nanny, a secretary, a pastry chef, a waitress, an art teacher and a soccer coach – you name it, I’ve probably dabbled in it. I love to travel and I believe I’ve visited all fifty states and a few places outside of the U.S.
So, besides hiking with my dog and riding horses (yum!), I love to cook and bake, read and write and sell books.
Giveaway
Now for the giveaway! Julia has so nicely agreed to giveaway a signed copy of her book Captured which is my favorite. Thanks so much Julia. To enter, just fill out the Rafflecopter form below. Remember US ONLY :) Julia is an amazing writer, I love all of her books. I wish that more people knew about her because I know that they would love her stories as much as I do. Below I will leave links to all of the Reviews I've done on her books.Links:
Captured by Julia Rachel Barrett
Pushing Her Boundaries by Julia Rachel Barrett
Anytime Darlin' by Julia Rachel Barrett
Incorporeal by Julia Rachel Barrett
In the Flesh by Julia Rachel Barrett
Out of all of these books there isn't one that I didn't absolutely love.
a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment