Author: Andrew Klavan
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
Pages: 330
Buy Here: Amazon|Barnes & Noble
"You probably want to hear about Jennifer and the demons and how I played chicken with a freight train and—oh yeah—the weird murder and how I found out about it—you're definitely going to want to hear about that. But first, I have to tell you about the stupidest thing I ever did . . ."
Sam Hopkins is bored with his status as a preacher's kid. So when a group of guys notorious for being in trouble offers him friendship, he accepts. Before long, he has several new skills—including hot-wiring cars.
At school, there's an eccentric loner named Jennifer. When Sam defends her from being bullied, she begins to seek him out as her only friend. Her ramblings often seem illogical . . . but then start to contain grains of truth. One leads Sam to discover that one of his new friends has been killed. And then she tells him, "I'm looking for the devil." Sam doesn't know what that means, but he knows it's a matter of life and death that he figure it out.
Everyone else thinks Jennifer is suffering from schizophrenia. But Sam is starting to wonder if there could be something prophetic in her words. Discovering the truth is going to be both crazy and dangerous.
Sam: “Have you ever had a revelation? You know, like, one minute you don’t understand something and the next minute you do. Like maybe you’re playing a video game and you can’t figure out how you’re supposed to climb up on this ledge that’s out of reach and then all of a sudden the answer’s obvious; it just comes to you as if out of nowhere... My revelation went like this: Do right. Fear nothing.”
Jeff: “You’re just the sort of guy I like to have around me. You’re the sort of guy I want on my team, if you see what I’m saying. Really, I can use a tough guy like you.”
Sam: “I knew the cars in that barn didn’t belong to Jeff. I knew the stuff that Jeff and his friends were doing was wrong — not to mention illegal. I knew I shouldn’t be hanging out with a thug like him. And I knew that every day I did hang out with him made it harder for me to tell him I was going to stop. But I knew I had to stop.”
Jeff: “In the future, Sam, I think maybe you ought to run someplace else. Anyplace else. This isn’t your place anymore. This is our place. It’s our place and we don’t want you here.”
Sam: “Now let me get something straight right up front. I am not a tough guy. In fact, I’m not a very good fighter at all. I’m a little under average height and not very big across. I’m not particularly strong and I never learned to box or anything like that. Every time I’d ever been in a fight, I got beaten up pretty badly. So probably? In a situation like this? I should have tried to be a little bit more polite. It would’ve been the smart thing to do, if you see what I mean. But here’s the problem: I hate being pushed around.”
Jeff: “I thought you were gonna be one of us, punk, but I guess you don’t have what it takes.”
Sam: “He was right about that, I have to admit. I knew that now. I didn’t have what it took to be like him. And I was right in the middle of thinking, Thank you, God, for that...
Find Andrew Here: Website|Twitter|Facebook|Goodreads
Post a Comment