Wonder by R.J. Palacio

Title: Wonder
Author: R.J. Palacio
Pages: 315
Publisher: Knopf
Release Date: February 14, 2012
Rating: 5 Stars


I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?

R. J. Palacio has written a spare, warm, uplifting story that will have readers laughing one minute and wiping away tears the next. With wonderfully realistic family interactions (flawed, but loving), lively school scenes, and short chapters, Wonder is accessible to readers of all levels.


My heart was touched by this book as soon as I read the synopsis. I don't usually read middle grade books; as I'm sure most people who have read this say... but I had to give this book a chance. The look of it is what drew me to it, and the synopsis ensured that I bought it.

I haven't enjoyed reading a story this thoroughly since I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Auggie is one of those book characters who makes you believe he is real, and he does an excellent job of telling his story. Auggie was born with a facial deformity that has prevented him from leading a normal childhood. Everywhere he goes people stare and whisper about him. He says he's grown used to it, but it still bothers him which is totally understandable.

His parents end up agreeing that sending him to a public school would be good for him, although they suspected it would be rough in the beginning. And so begins the story of Wonder. How Auggie transforms the lives of students and teachers alike as they transform him. While many bad things to happen to Auggie throughout this story that make you cringe and feel sorry for him, it also is so realistic that you wouldn't want it any other way. A story of discovery, friendship, and real life situations... this is a story that will stick with me a lifetime.

Not only do you get to see Auggie's life through his eyes, but you also get the pleasure of seeing how people perceive him through their eyes. You get a glimpse into the mind of his sister Via; his friends Summer and Jack Will, some of my personal favorites.

One of my favorite things about this book were the underlying precepts that the English teacher Mr. Brown presented to his students. 

I have gained a different outlook and perspective on life, and I hope that if you haven't read this delightful book that you will purchase it and devour it in a couple of sittings like I did. I am truly convinced that everyone needs to read this story, John Green said it best:

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” 
― John GreenThe Fault in Our Stars





4 comments

  1. Wow! That excerpt in the picture is enough to draw me in. Books like these come so rarely. Thanks Kayla! It's going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to read my review Katie, I hope you love this book as much as I did. Please let me know what you thought about it when you get around to reading it!

      Delete
  2. What a powerful and eloquent review! Thank you for stopping by the blog, I love having you!

    Best,
    Yuri
    http://bookswept.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU so much Yuri for stopping by! It's a pleasure stopping by your blog... it's my absolute favorite to follow. I hope you come back soon. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.