![]() |
| www.weheartit.com |
They actually did celebrate it, more united in my opinion. It brought everyone so much closer. I am thankful for that life changing experience.
I come from a family of two different races. My Mom and her side of the family being White; my Dad and his side of the family being Black.
Up until that point, or so I was told... my Mother's side of the family didn't like my Dad or the idea of my Mom being in an interracial relationship. Racism was prominent where my Mother's side of the family live. It's how they were raised and brought up. But on that day they all united for my sake, and ever since then the racism that was present is no longer. I am first and foremost thankful for that everyday and take this time of the year to reflect and be reminded of this event. My family, both sides, being united. In spite of all outside forces.
As I got older I began to wonder and question why do we only give Thanks at this time of year, once a year? In my mind I think that Thanksgiving is a holiday that should live within... everyday. Well, minus the big feast. Who would want to cook an abundance of Thanksgiving food everyday?
NOT ME.
What I'm getting at is that society makes it normal for this holiday to be a once a year thing. Not only that but Christmas. These two months are seemingly to me (it may be different for other people) are the only two months out of the year where family and friends seem to get closer. Now this is not wrong and I'm not complaining about this in any way. I just think that while we should be thankful, and get closer with family and friends during these two months... it should also be taken and exercised throughout every month of the year.
As I've gotten older I've realized that while gifts are nice, what is even nicer is being surrounded by the people you love and care about. Family and friends. People have busy lives, no doubt about that and we focus on other things; when we should be trying to fit in investing time in family and friends because no matter if you fail, something goes wrong, or if you're upset family and friends are a constant. Always there for you through thick and thin.
I've been trying to exercise this myself, and in the time that I have been I have seen myself become a lot happier, joyous, and motivated. I've began to realize what is really important in life. People are important, not material things. Although they are nice, and I love to indulge in buying material things... I'd rather have the company of my friends and family than a material item any day.
My goal from now on will be to stay in touch with and make more of an effort to spend more time with those that are important in my life. I think I may even set up a plan where I make a call to one family member and friend a week, or perform a Random Act of Kindess for them. Undecided. Just ideas, but one way or another I'll practice this.
To everyone out there have a wonderful Thanksgiving day tomorrow, filled with lots of food, family, friends, and quality time. I hope you've enjoyed reading this post, I know it's rather lengthy. I want to end with telling my followers, the people who visit, and keep up with me that I am truly thankful for you. You may not know, but you guys really mean the world to me. Knowing that someone even takes the time to read the words I have put out there brightens my life. You are all a blessing and I love reading and replying to your comments, and checking out your blogs (if you have one). Ever have any questions or just something you need to say, always feel free to e-mail or tweet at me.
Again, Happy Thanksgiving to all out there. Be safe.

Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you had a great day :)
ReplyDeleteGeorgia from www.lumublog.com
Thanks so much Georgia! I hope you have a great day also!
DeleteBelated happy birthday!
ReplyDelete"In my mind I think that Thanksgiving is a holiday that should live within... everyday." << seriously :) whenever something happens to me, I just say a quick thanks (literally), and continue on with my day...
Family wasn't part of my Thanksgiving this year... I'm still unsure if they would be this Christmas... life's a b***h sometimes.
Arianne Cruz
Provocative Pages
Thanks so much Arianne, sorry it's taken so long to reply to your comment! I've been slacking a tad lol. I really like that idea, of silently saying a thanks after something happens to you. I am sorry that your family wasn't apart of your Thanksgiving and may not be apart of your Christmas, but rest assured that even though we're miles away I consider you a friend to me!
DeleteLife is a bitch sometimes, on that I totally agree.