Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes

Title: Hawksong
Author: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Pages: 243
Publisher:Laurel Leaf
Release Date: September 28, 2004
Rating: 5 Stars

DANICA SHARDAE IS an avian shapeshifter, and the golden hawk’s form in which she takes to the sky is as natural to her as the human one that graces her on land. The only thing more familiar to her is war: It has raged between her people and the serpiente for so long, no one can remember how the fighting began. As heir to the avian throne, she’ll do anything in her power to stop this war—even accept Zane Cobriana, the terrifying leader of her kind’s greatest enemy, as her pair bond and make the two royal families one.

Trust. It is all Zane asks of Danica—and all they ask of their people—but it may be more than she can give.


This is the second time that I've read this book as of now. I don't normally indulge in re-reading books because there are so many out there and I like to get to as many as I can, but I am so pleased with this book... if not more pleased with it after reading it for a second time around. Hawksong is about two enemies the Avians and the Serpiente... for as long as Danica can remember there has been a war between the Avians and the Serpiente and all she wants is for it to stop. Danice is heir to the heir to the Avian throne, addressed as the title Tuuli Thea as Zane is the heir to the Serpiente throne, which is acknowledged as the title Diente.

In an attempt to unite the two civilizations, to stop war, and enforce peace, Zane and Danica both agree to marry each other after a lot of tension and hesitation. They both want to do anything they can to stop the war because they have both lost so many people to this war. The hardest thing they will ever learn to do is to trust each other, because if they can't trust one another they won't be able to convince their people that this is the path to peace.


At first Danica and Zane hated each other's guts, well not really hate, I'd say they were very untrusting and weary of one another. I couldn't blame them for being this way because that is how they were taught to feel towards one another since the time of their childhoods... but as they get to know each other those walls crumble and they begin to see the true sides of each other. It's not a swift insta romance type of groove, it happens gradually, over time. It's realistic and I really like that they EARNED each other's trust and didn't fall blindly into anything. Danica and Zane are definitely my favorite book couple. In both of them I see sacrifice, strength, loyalty, and honor. Each of them live by this code and it's what really made me fall in love with as well as cherish these characters. This book was so original, unique, different, and altogether lovely. I'll probably be re-reading it for a third time in the near future. It isn't long at all but is filled with action, a teetering line of love and hate, and trying to bring two races together that have been sworn to war against each other for many centuries. If you are a fan of Lord of the Rings give this book a try. The world is so unique and the author's voice is so lyrical that you'll be sure to devour this book and beg for more.


Amelia is truly a talented writer and I love having the chance to sit down and read what her magical hands have whipped up.

2 comments

  1. If you have read it twice, and you liked it, that speaks worlds for this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so darn good, I'll probably be reading it for the third time soon! It gets better everytime!

      Delete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.