Interview w/ Claire Delacroix/ Giveaway Hop

Shameless Giveaway Blog Hop & Interview w/ Claire Delacroix

Thanks to Jen(@RedHotBooks), Brie (@Romance Around the Corner), and Michelle (@Michelle's Book Blog) for hosting this giveaway. Now we'll get started!

Interview w/ Claire Delacroix

Q1: Hello! Thank you for being a guest on my blog. It is a pleasure to have you come and speak about your book Fallen. Could you give us an overview of Fallen? FALLEN is an urban fantasy romance which takes place in the future, in a post-nuclear but pre-Apocalyptic society. Lilia doesn’t believe that her estranged husband’s death was an accident, so she heads into the heart of the Republic to unearth the truth. She’s not one to worry about following the rules. She never expects to meet a sexy cop who understands her better than anyone ever before. That cop, Montgomery, is a fallen angel who has volunteered to sacrifice his wings and join an angelic mission to save humanity. Lilia awakens him to earthly pleasure and frustration, as he tries to sort her fabrications from the truth. Is she who she claims to be, or the person who is hunting fallen angels?
Q2: What gave you the idea to write Fallen?
This book was unusual for me, in that I didn’t have an idea in the first place. I had finished a series of medieval romances and wanted to write something different, but I wasn’t sure what that would be. One day, Lilia started to talk to me. I wrote it all down, wondering all the while just who she was and what her story was. I couldn’t leave it alone, and telling her story became a bit of an obsession for me. So, I didn’t have the idea so much as I met Lilia. Authors say stuff like this all the time, but I’ve never had a character be so demanding.
On the other hand, Lilia is pretty convinced of her own perspective!

Q3: Just wondering, do you have a favorite book in the Prometheus Project?
I like all three books and I like that they’re different from each other. I do really have a fondness for Lilia, though, because of the process of discovering her story, and (yes) a weakness for Montgomery. Because they have more page time in FALLEN, I’d have to pick that as my favourite.
I can’t choose a favourite in the covers, though. I think all three of them are fabulous.

Q4: Do you have a uniform writing process, or can you write anytime or anywhere you go?
I have a pretty strict writing routine. I have an office and I’m there for specified hours each day. Sometimes I’m there longer (as when I was listening to Lilia) but I spend four or five hours there each day. I write only in my office, not in public places, and I turn the music up really loud. Because of that routine, I have a pretty solid idea of how much I can get done in a day, which lets me predict when I can finish different projects. When I travel, I have a harder time focussing on the story than when I’m in my office, so I don’t travel much when I’m on deadline.
Q5: Did this book turn out how you planned for it to, or did you end up changing some things?
The unusual thing about FALLEN was that I didn’t have much of a plan initially. I was just following Lilia to find out what she was up to. I had no real idea where she would go, and that was intriguing. I usually have a plan for my books, although they sometimes make small detours. FALLEN was something completely different.
That said, I originally wrote Lilia’s story in first person point of view, and structured it as a mystery. It really was an urban fantasy with romantic elements, but in 2005, very few publishers were publishing books like that. I couldn’t place it, but there was one editor (at TOR) who loved it. We had a long talk because she was disappointed to pass on the story, but couldn’t figure out how to package and market it. I suggested to her that I could flip the balance of elements around, and make it a romance with a mystery subplot, then write it in third person point of view. She was very excited about that and TOR bought the resulting trilogy. I really liked how the story worked out this way, because we see more of Montgomery than in that first version. Lilia still had a lot of secrets, so they don’t truly get their HEA until the end of book #3, REBEL. I like that too.

Q6: What genres of books do you generally read? Also, do you have any favorite authors of your own?
I have always read a lot of fantasy and science fiction, as well romance. I also read a lot of literary fiction and magical realism. The past few years, I’ve had a lot of deadlines, so haven’t been reading as much as I’d like. My To Be Read pile is towering, because I’m still buying books! So, one of my resolutions for this year is to read more books. I can’t wait to dig in.
Q7: Which character would you say is most similar to you in Fallen?
Tough question. I don’t think I’m like any of them - but all of them have a little bit of me in them. :-)
Q8: Do you have any upcoming projects/books you are working on? What can we expect from you this year?
I have been writing my Dragonfire series of paranormal romances in the past couple of years. Those are published under the name Deborah Cooke and feature heroes who are dragon shape shifters. There’s one out now called FLASHFIRE and another coming in October called EMBER’S KISS. You can read more at http://www.deborahcooke.com
I also have a paranormal YA spin-off from Dragonfire called The Dragon Diaries, also published under the name Deborah Cooke. WINGING IT, book #2 in that trilogy, came out in December and BLAZING THE TRAIL (#3) will be out in June. There’s more information about those books at http://www.thedragondiaries.com
As for my Claire Delacroix books, I’ve been republishing digital editions of my backlist titles over the past year, which has been an interesting and educational process. In spring 2012, I’ll be publishing a new medieval romance - look for news about that on my website in February - plus I have another project on my desk. I still worry about Tupperman, you know. My website is http://www.delacroix.net and my blog is http://www.delacroix.net/blog


General Questions (:

1. Do you like chocolate or vanilla?
Both - but I usually choose vanilla first

2. What is your current favorite book?
I don’t have one right now, but there are plenty of candidates in my TBR, just waiting to be loved. I keep fingering Cassandra Clare’s books so I think they will be first.

3. If you could spend a day with anyone dead or alive, real or fake who would it be and why?
How can I choose? Freddie Mercury, or Angela Carter, or Eleanor of Aquitaine.

4. Do you prefer hardcover or paperback books?
I love trade paperbacks.

5. Soda or Water?
Water with fizzle - like Perrier. It’s the best of both worlds!

6. Do you like to get up early, or stay up late?
I am a morning person. Absolutely.


7. If you could be a book character who would it be?
It would completely rock to be Lilia Desjardins.


Thank you for visiting us and taking your time to tell us more about Fallen. I really enjoyed being able to interview you. Thank you so much for joining us today! I wish you the best of luck.




Bestselling author Claire Delacroix always loved stories, both telling them and hearing them. She sold her first romance novel - a medieval, THE ROMANCE OF THE ROSE - in 1992 and has published over forty romance novels and numerous novellas since. THE BEAUTY, part of Claire's bestselling 'Bride Quest' series, was her first title to land on the New York Times Extended List of Bestselling Books. Claire makes her home with her family, a number of incomplete knitting projects and a lot of overgrown houseplants. She loves to travel, to cook, to ride her bike and to read. She frequently teaches workshops to writers' groups. Claire also writes as Claire Cross and as Deborah Cooke.

Click here to visit Claire Delacroix's Website

Now For the Giveaway!!!!

I will be giving away a copy of Fallen by Claire Delacroix w/ a signed book plate that came from Claire Delacroix herself to go along with it. To enter just fill out the Rafflecopter form. Happy Hopping!!



Book Description:
When her estranged husband's mysterious death is declared an accident, Lilia Desjardins knows that it is a lie. She leaves all she knows to risk the dark heart of the Republic -- only to find that she herself has been targeted by forces unknown.Adam Montgomery will do anything to complete his earthly mission, even if he has to tangle with the enigmatic Lilia Desjardins. But when his contact is murdered and he must rely on Lilia’s silence to save him from the slave dens, Adam knows that his wings were only the first sacrifice required of him.
As danger and intrigue surround them, Lilia and Adam realize that they must work together -- body, mind, and soul -- in order to save the world.




Click Read more to enter the giveaway! Scroll down to view all other participants in the Shameless Giveaway Blog Hop.



a Rafflecopter giveaway
Click here to see everyone else who is participating in the Shameless Giveaway Hop!
Happy Hopping!

48 comments

  1. Meaningful comments... the book looks interesting, I also prefer vanilla and sparkling mineral water is my favorite as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big UF romance addict. I haven't heard of this book yet so thanks for the heads up! and thanks for playing along in the hop :0
    sstogner1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by and entering! When I found this book I hadn't heard of it either, but it looked really good (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to the Shameless Hop, I've discovered a new author! Yay!!
    Thank you so much for the chance sweetie.

    Sebrina_Cassity at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your welcome! I'm enjoying being a part of it (: Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved Claire's Historical romances so I'm quite curious to try this genre of hers too.
    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never read any of her Historical Romances, I'll have to check them out. Thanks for entering the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fallen sounds like a great story... added it to my wishlist!

    yadkny@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is a new author to me but the book sounds very intriguing, I would love to read it. The cover is also excellent. Thank you for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cover also, I'm a big fan of book covers! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great book! Just the kind of story that I love to read. Thanks so much for the chance to win it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it sounds like a great book too! I bought a copy for myself also. Thank you for entering! Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a total urban fantasy junkie...'cause books are my crack, ya' know!

    Thanks for offering such a great giveaway. The cover is gorgeous, and I'd love to read another book by Claire Delacroix!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree books are such an addiction to me I just bought four more today LOL. I also love Urban Fantasy! Claire Delacroix is a great author, and I love this cover too! Thank you for stopping by (:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the chance to win.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great book. What's the difference between urban fantasy and paranormal? Great boob, thanks for the hop!
    Tawn (www.simplytawny.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Urban fantasy is a sub-genre of fantasy defined by place; the fantastic narrative has an urban setting. Many urban fantasies are set in contemporary times and contain supernatural elements. However, the stories can take place in historical, modern, or futuristic periods. The prerequisite is that they must be primarily set in a city. While paranormal romance is "other worldly" with supernatural beings and things that wouldn't usually be possible are possible. Paranormal romance is something that is outside of reality like vampires, shape shifters, werewolves, and so on (: I hope this helps! Thanks for stopping by! Happy Hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  18. (Julianne) Thanks for stopping by!! Thank you for entering (:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the interview, the book sounds amazing, and the cover is beautiful!
    brandon_savannah@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, I love the cover too! Many thanks for stopping by and entering (; Happy Hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, you're blowing up over here! It's looking really good and great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Lol! Thank you for stopping by and taking a look at my first interview (: I really liked your review on Sinfully Scandalous; Sinners and Saints #2. It sounds like it would be awesome.

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the chance! The story sounds like a keeper. I've added it to my book wish list.

    jmesparza821(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's great (: Thanks for stopping by and entering the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the great interview and the giveaway. I don't think I have read many books that would be considered Urban Fantasy but this one sounds really good.
    Btw, I love that you are so into reading. My nieces are about your age (within the next 2 weeks one will be 17, the other 18) and I can't get them to read anything! They definitely do not take after me, lol.
    June
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your welcome! I didn't like reading at all until I discovered paranormal romance, contemporary romance, historical romance, erotica, and urban fantasy. I think it's all about finding your genre (: Thanks for stopping by, and Happy Hopping!

    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  27. i like t he hop and then i do
    the rest tonight i love the hop
    and the gift you are giveing way

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have been hearing a lot about this books from friends lately. I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Intriguing story. I just started reading books featuring angels and I am going to have to add this one to my wishlist. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  30. (desitheblonde) Thank you for entering the giveaway and stopping by! I think this book looks really great too (:

    ReplyDelete
  31. (Liese2) I hadn't heard about this book until about a month ago when I saw it in a store and I knew I had to buy it for a giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  32. (Amy S.) I love stories with angels in them! I haven't read that many but the ones that I've read were really good!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thank you very much for this great giveaway! This sounds like a great book never heard of it before! I love Urban Fantasy and Paranormal romance.
    Thanks for taking part in the fun blog hop!
    tishajean@ charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are welcome! Thanks for stopping by... This is the first blog hop I've ever participated in and I love it (: I will be participating in way more now that I know how much fun they are! Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh wow the book sound so wonderful and i cant wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. (AprilAlvey) Thanks for stopping by, I hope when you read Fallen you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks to this awesome hop I now have another new author to check out! The book sounds awesome!! (Although I prefer chocolate lol)
    Ashley A
    ash_app@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I haven't heard of this book before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thank you so much for giving away such a cool prize!

    I was so amazed that Claire has written over 40 romance novels since 1992--that's pretty impressive and inspirational to someone like me who is just trying to start out a writing hobby/career.

    I'm also impressed that even though Claire started out with historical romance, she has moved into the paranormal/UF genre. I have been worried that I write little scenes here and there, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, various genres, whatever and whenever the characters tell me to.

    Most of what goes on for me is character-driven (an idea or feeling about something a character is telling me in my head) or simply comes in snatches or images that I am trying to build a whole short-story or novel around.

    Sometimes they are concrete and other times they aren't, they are more vague--like from a dream and coming back to me. It sounds like she may have "lived" with her favorite character for a while as well and that gives me hope!

    Anyway, that was a whole lot of WHOA, huh!

    Thanks again, and I can't wait to read the book!

    Ann Roberts
    Kyreadinggirl@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. (Ashley Applebee) I'm glad you found a new author! I have to say I like books more than chocolate, but I can't deny I like chocolate too (: Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  41. (Brenda Demko) I am glad that I could bring Claire Delacroix to your attention (: Thank you for entering the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I've read a lot of Claire's earlier books and had no idea was was writing contemporaries! Thanks for that insight :) And also thanks for the great giveaway, I would love to read it.

    Eva
    evitap67(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  43. (kyreadinggirl) Wow, that's amazing that you are a writer! I'm glad that Claire has inspired you (: I love authors who write different genres it gives you a variety! As you can probably see I absolutely love Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance. Thank you so much for stopping by! I enjoyed reading your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  44. (Eva's Flowers) I love that Claire writes many different genres (: Thank you for stopping by and entering the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  45. The books sounds exciting! Great interview as well.

    Thanks for the giveaway!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  46. (VanillaOrchids) Thank you for stopping by and entering the giveaway and stopping by to read the interview w/ Claire Delacroix!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.