
Wither by Lauren DeStefano
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
358 Pages
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
I give this a raging 5 STARS because this book has rocked my world. I have recently heard about Fever and how so many people really like it so I wanted to give The Chemical Garden Trilogy a try. Oh boy, and I am so glad I did.
Wither is about a girl named Rhine who lives in a world where men live to the age of 25 and women live to the age of 20. This is a result of the altering of their parent's genes to make them be basically "perfect". Rhine lives with her twin brother in the house she grew up in after her parents died. Her parents were scientists who were working on an antidote to the age restriction disease. After her parents deaths Rhine and her brother have to take shifts staying awake to keep guard.One night Rhine is kidnapped by what are known as "The Gatherers" while her brother is away and ends up being taken to be one of Governor Linden's Wives.
Upon her and her sister wives arrivals all Rhine can think of is escaping from this horrid prison. While in the mansion Rhine discovers many things she wishes that she never did and she is frightened for her life as well as everyone else's lives in the mansion, and she knows that she has to escape. Rhine works really hard gaining Linden's trust so that she can have more freedom. Gabrielle the attendant often brings her meals and they end up becoming friends. Rhine eventually entrusts him with the secret that she wants to escape, and asks him to run away with her. Will her plan work? Will she escape? or will she end up being stuck in the mansion for the rest of her life only to die without ever seeing her home or her twin brother ever again?
Man this was truly an AWESOME book, and I wish I would have discovered it earlier. This book left me wanting more and now I really don't want to read anything else other than Fever. I am definitely team Gabrielle, although I feel bad for Linden. Lauren DeStefano's writing is superb and I cannot wait to read Fever (Book #2 in the Chemical Garden Trilogy) and I have already ordered my copy. I recommend that you read this book it is a story of loss and adventure; you will LOVE it. I am now a Lauren DeStefano fan and her books will go on my automatic read and buy list!
Oh and I can't forget to mention this beautiful cover, most people say "don't judge a book by it's cover" well do the opposite in this case. The book is just as captivating, beautiful, and unique as the cover.
View all my reviews
Post a Comment