Title: CinderLunar Chronicals #1
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Pages: 387
Blurb:
A forbidden romance. A deadly plague. Earth’s fate hinges on one girl...
Cinder, a gifted mechanic in New Beijing, is also a cyborg. She’s reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s sudden illness. But when her life becomes entwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she finds herself at the centre of a violent struggle between the desires of an evil queen—and a dangerous temptation.
Cinder is caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal. Now she must uncover secrets about her mysterious past in order to protect Earth’s future.
Interview:
Kayla: How did you come up with the idea of Cinder? (I've been dying to know)
Marissa: I entered a writing contest a few years ago with a short story that was a sci-fi twist on “Puss in Boots,” one of my favorite fairy tales. I’d never written any science fiction before, but it was so much fun, and it gave me the idea to write a whole series of futuristic fairy tales. I spent some time playing around with the concept, then a few months later I had a vision of Cinder as I was falling asleep—a cyborg Cinderella! I was instantly in love with the idea, and my plan for the series started to come together very quickly after that.
Kayla: How did your release day go? Was it the way you thought it would go?
Marissa: I had a fabulous release day. It was very hectic, with a gazillion tweets and facebook comments of congratulations coming in. In the morning, my husband, publicist, and I went around to a bunch of bookstores in Seattle to sign stock (and even saw someone reading Cinder at the very first store we went to!). In the evening I had a launch party at my local bookstore, Garfield Book Co. We had over 200 guests, including almost all of my closest friends and family, and many of the women wore red shoes to match the book c
over. It was so much fun and I felt like a total rock star!
Kayla: What was the process of coming up with the name?
Marissa: The name came to me very early on, and just popped into my head. Obviously it harks back to Cinderella, so it was pretty easy to come up with. Book 2: Scarlet, based on Little Red Riding Hood, was easy too, though I struggled a bit more with naming Cress (Book 3, based on Rapunzel—both cress and rapunzel are types of lettuces) and Winter (Book 4, based on Snow White—it was originally titled Ebony).
Kayla: How long did it take you to get Cinder published?
Marissa: It took me about two years to write and revise the book until I was happy with it, but after that the process happened very quickly for me. About two months to sign with an agent and less than a month after that before we accepted a book deal. It was then about fourteen months before the book hit stores.
Kayla: I always love to ask, what is your favorite part of being an Author?
Marissa: Being able to share the stories and characters that I love with other readers, and hearing that they enjoyed them.
Kayla: Have you had a lot of reader interaction?
Marissa: Yes, I love it when readers contact me and am so happy to live in a time when that’s possible. I’m constantly hearing from readers through email, Twitter, and Facebook. I also was lucky enough to go on a book tour all over the country, and it was wonderful to meet readers face to face.
Kayla: Cats or Dogs?
Marissa: Cats. (I have 3!)
Kayla: Icecream or Yogurt?
Marissa: Ice cream!
Kayla: Dog ear or Bookmark?
Marissa: Bookmark, though I’ve been known to dog ear out of desperation.
Kayla: What is the biggest honor or compliment you have had for Cinder?
Marissa: I recently received an email from a girl who said she’s never liked to read, but dared to pick up Cinder after reading about it in a magazine. She loved it and is now exploring other books in the YA genre. What an enormous honor!
Mini-Bio:
Marissa Meyer is a fan of most things geeky (Sailor Moon, Firefly, color-coordinating her bookshelf...) and will take any excuse to put on a costume. She may or may not be a cyborg. Cinder is her first novel.
You can find Marissa here:
Post a Comment