Interview with Bethany Griffin


Title: Masque of the Red Death
Author: Bethany Griffin
Publisher: Harper Collins
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Pages: 320
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.


Kayla: What message would you like your readers to get from reading "Masque of The Red Death"?

Bethany: I'm not really sure about messages, I don't read for morals, and I don't think most readers do either. The theme of Poe's original story was (I think) that you can't hide from death, no matter how wealthy you are. The theme of my book might be that there's always something to live for, no matter how bleak things seem.

Kayla: Who designed the awesome cover for "Masque of The Red Death"?

Bethany: It's listed on the Jacket cover art by Alexander Alexandrovitch Kharlamov and Sammy Yuen, and jacket design by Sammy Yuen and Paul Zakris. Sammy Yuen did some of my favorite covers including Incarceron and Leviathan so that's pretty exciting.

Kayla: What was your inspiration for writing "Masque of The Red Death"?

Bethany: Well, obviously the Poe short story that it's named for was the first inspiration. I guess as I developed the idea there was a lot of inspiration from various Victorian stories and post-apocalyptic stories. I wanted to tell a story about a character who had lost hope, and I think I succeeded in that?

Kayla: Do you have anyone who has inspired you to write?

Bethany: Lots of people, from my mom to my husband...to all the people in high school who I thought were scorning my genius. :) I had some great English teachers, and I have to mention my college advisor Dr. Marjorie Kaiser who passed away last year, she was a great inspiration and a formidable lady.

Kayla: How does it feel to be an Author?

Bethany: Well, holding your book in your hands is one of the best feelings ever, especially when it as beautiful as this book. So, I'm going to have to say it feels pretty great!

Kayla: Are you currently working on any upcoming projects?

Bethany: I've finished the draft of the sequel, and will soon be revising.

1. Early Bird or Night Owl? Early bird by career necessity. Night owl during breaks from work.

2. Favorite Book? The Lord of the Rings

3. Dog Ear or Book Mark? Dog ear

4. Favorite Food? Sushi on fancy days, Pizza on the rest of the days.

5. Dogs or Cats? Cats.


Bethany Griffin lives in Louisville Kentucky with 5 cats, 2 children, and one librarian husband. She teaches high school English and Creative writing. She is inspired by rainy days, gothic architecture, and the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Find Bethany Here:


-Today is the RELEASE DAY for Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin! Make sure to go order it from the links above, and make sure to wish Bethany Happy book birthday on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you so much Bethany for this Interview, I wish you the best with everything!

Post a Comment

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.