Author: Karen Mueller Bryson
Publisher: CreateSpace
Release Date: March 29, 2012
Pages: 132
Buy Here: Amazon|Barnes & Noble
Retro Geeks is a Short on Time Books for Teens, fast-paced and fun novels for readers on the go. Remember when it wasn't cool to be a geek? That's so yesterday! Retro Geeks, chronicles the (mis)adventures of two self-proclaimed geek girls, Molly and Ally, as they attempt to land super-hot dates for their senior prom. The 80s obsessed BFFs attempt a variety of date-finding schemes, including spying on the popular girls for the 411 on fitting in, in their quest for top-tier prom dates.
Kayla: What inspired you to write Retro Geeks?
Karen: I enjoy writing romantic comedy and I wanted to write a comedic story that featured senior prom, which is such an important rite-of-passage for young people. I wondered how far two best friends, who are goofy misfits, would go to get dates for the prom.
Kayla: In high school were you a geek, or in with the popular crowd?
Karen: I was a bookish introvert and definitely a geek. I had a history of being picked on and teased in junior high school but things were a little better when I was in high school. I was never one of the popular kids, however. I didn’t play sports. I didn’t even watch sports. (I actually watched an entire football game for the first time in 2009 when I wrote a screenplay, Monsoon Season, about one of the nation’s only female boys-football coachs.) I’ve always been a “creative soul” and devoted myself to theater when I was in high school.
Kayla: What was your favorite part of this book to write?
Karen: Molly and Ally, the two main characters in Retro Geeks, are obsessed with 80s music and culture. The obsession began after Ally’s mom died and she began listening to her old CD collection, which consisted of mostly 80s classics. I had a wonderful time reliving the 80s though the music and clothing that I had Molly and All rediscover in the book.
Kayla: Do you have a favorite quote from "Retro Geeks"?
Karen: his is one of my favorite little bits from the book. (Tank and Hank are twin football stars and Elisa and Megan are the school’s popular girls.)
Back in the kitchen, Tank and Hank approached Elisa and Megan, who were trying to split a single M&M with a butter knife.
“What are you doing?” Tank asked.
“M & Ms are like 10 calories each,” Elisa said. “We're splitting one.”
“We don't want to pork out,” Megan added.
Kayla: What current projects are you working on?
Karen: I am getting ready to release a biography, based on the life of roller derby sports legend, Cindy McCoy. In addition, the graphic novel version of my time travel adventure for tweens, The Incredibly Awesome Adventures of Puggie Liddell, is being prepared for release by Zeta Comics.
What do you want to accomplish this summer (reading/writing wise)?
I am in the research stage of a new science fiction story for young adults and I am in the planning stage of three paranormal stories, which I would like to start this summer. Most of my reading will be research and preparation for my new screenplays/novels.
Post a Comment