Delta Zeta|ΔΖ: My Sorority


Joining a sorority when entering college was the furthest thing from my mind. See somehow, someway, it happened anyways. What's meant to be will be I guess, no argument from me there! What happened exactly? Yes, I did join a sorority, Delta Zeta to be exact but it came along with so much more.

Sisterhood. Friendship. Life long connections. Leadership opportunities. Encouragement. Knowledge.

I was presented with so many amazing opportunities when I joined my wonderful sorority. I gained a mondo amount of sisters slash friends, which was awesome in my mind. In high school I was a bit of a loner and without many girls as friends. I had my books to keep me busy then.


After I joined I faced trails. Questions such as: Are you a ΔΖ? Those are easy dee zee's right? 
Every time I would answer politely with no.

Along with that came: Why do you pay for your friends?
I do not and have never paid for my friends, especially my sisters. Any chance to give back to the sorority that has given so much to me already is worth it. Any amazing organization requires money to keep it moving. Delta Zeta is no exception.

My best and most memorable memories come from the wonderful sisters who joined at the same time as I did. We formed a bond that can never be dissolved. We grew close on a level other's probably wouldn't understand, and although I may not see them as much as I did in the beginning, you best believe that when we see each other out in public, that it's like family reuniting.

I've seen girls, including myself, make changes for the better because of joining a sorority. From learning leadership roles, to correctly applying make-up, to helping the community, to dressing classy and appropriately, to learning social skills... girls have utilized their resources and have transformed, not into something different, but into a better version of themselves. I can attest to this because I am a living witness.

As a head's up, I'm about to share with you some of the ladies from my chapter who have had the biggest affect on me as a person.

My three role models are my Big, New Member Educator, and Elizabeth Vanmetre.

You see my Big is like an older version of myself, and from the instant we met there was a connection there. She is honorable, responsible, a leader, professional, fun, amazing, smart, funny, productive, and a tons more. My Big inspires me to try harder to work towards my goals each and every day. She may not be perfect, because no one is, but in my eyes she's as close to perfect as a person can get. I love her with all of my heart, and pray that every girl who has a Big feels the same way towards their Big Sister as I have been blessed with feeling.

--New Member Educator, Anna, Mom, the one who set the bar and taught me the ropes. I could never thank you enough. Without you I'd be lost, unknowledgeable, and flavorless. She was there through the good, bad, pretty, ugly, happy, sad, exciting, and boring. There. From learning the sacred knowledge of our sisterhood, to showing me how to put outfits together when I asked. There wasn't one question that I asked, that I wasn't positive wouldn't be answered by her. She is also an amazing sister, helping, giving back, and always gives to people selflessly. 

Lastly, but certainly not the least is my biggest Role Model, Liz Vanmetre, short for Elizabeth. 

I'm not usually one to delve into who I look up to because, well because I usually keep it to myself just to be quite honest.

Liz. This woman, better yet lady is the epitome of a Delta Zeta woman in my eyes. A leader first and foremost; the amazing thing is that it's not only about her being a leader but so much more.  I've observed her on many occasions being a go getter, something I envy to the utmost and aspire to be someday. Anything she ever wanted I saw her cease the moment and go get it. The most professional person you could ever come in contact with, with a personality of the most likable person in the universe.

She's moved to a big city and made her dreams come true, not taking no for an answer, and if she ever did receive a no, has obviously continued to try over and over again. I admire the person she is. I don't know many people who could pursue a dream as limited as far as spaces in pertinence to journalism; but see, SHE did it, and did it successfully. I applaud that. I admire that. I aspire to one day achieve that. 

It all seems to most people on the outside, notice I said MOST people and not all, superficial and silly. Greek life has literally changed my life though, for the good. A wise sister once said to me, "she will give back to you, what you give to her". It's so true. What you put into your sorority is what you will receive back.

Greek life is not for everyone, I totally understand that. But for those who are enticed and intrigued, even to the slightest about it should at least ask about it and/or try it out. It's honestly not what most people stereotype it to be, I know I was surprised. As I say different strokes for different folks. What I mean to say without being a total weirdo is that each person has their own set home. That could be AXD, Alpha Chi Omega, Alpha Gamma Delta, Phi Mu... or so on. 

Just to think I could have missed out on something amazingly wonderful if I weren't willing to give something a try. To all of my sisters, I am thankful for each and everyone of you, locally, and nationally. Even if you weren't individually mentioned here (I didn't have time to mention everyone) know that I look up to you too! I want to give more to my sorority now than I've been able to in the past, so I'm gonna stop at saying I want... and just go ahead and DO. Action. There is no place I'd rather be, than good old Delta Zee. I am so truly thankful for this amazing experience and opportunity.


3 comments

  1. I hear such awful stories about sororities (I went to nursing school at 18, so the only sorority I was a part of involved me, several textbooks, and a particular spot in the library), that I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience. There's something to be said for lifelong connections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard awful stories as well Katie, which was a lot of the reason why I was so hesitant. You're right lifelong connections are something special!

      Delete
  2. I was in a sorority in college as well and it's amazing how much negative connotations and stereotypes surround the greek system. Entire houses are categorized as one thing like your example of being called the "easy dee zees", but in reality a house makes up so many different people with different personalities and values. There's a lot more to sororities than partying!!! : ) Sounds like you had an amazing experience. I agree, it's hard to imagine what college would have been like if I hadn't joined one too!

    xox,
    anna-lamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.