Title: Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 328
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: April 12, 2012
Rating: 4 Stars
Set over the course of one school year in 1986, ELEANOR AND PARK is the story of two star-crossed misfits – smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love – and just how hard it pulled you under.
Let me begin by stating that this review is not going to be an easy one to write, hence the reason I've patiently/impatiently waited a couple of days after reading this to attempt writing this review.
Rainbow Rowell is very respected and loved within the Young Adult literature world, and she deserves every bit of what she's received... because this woman is talented.
Contemporary romance is a genre that has gradually grown on me, and Eleanor and Park was just what I was looking for in a Contemporary Romance... well mostly. The story is great in the aspect that every chapter alternates between the views of Eleanor and Park. This way you know what each character is thinking directly, which in my opinion is a bit of a relief. You aren't left guessing if every character is on the same page.
This book reminded me of how rude, inconsiderate, self centered, and mean students -- high school, middle school, and elementary alike can be. Eleanor is a new student and when trying to load the bus no one would let her sit down, that is until a "perfect" Asian kid cops an attitude but then allows her to take the seat of residence beside of him.
They continue to be silent during every bus ride although Park has developed the habit of bring Eleanor comic books and mix tapes to school. It's wordless and it's beautiful. So not to give the story away, but just to give you a glimpse into the world of Eleanor and Park.
Wordless interactions turn into mouth full conversations between both Eleanor and Park within a matter of what feels like days.
--Eleanor had and does have a very hard life that she doesn't like to share with anyone.
-- Park is a seemingly perfect from the outside type of guy, that has a great family filled with all of his needs.
What do these two have to even offer each other you may wonder, well to state the least: honesty, happiness, and tools to heal what was once broken.
Eleanor and Park is a sweet romance that'll have and keep you gushing for hours. The only reason why I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 is because of the ending, and I can't spoil it for those who haven't read it... so just keep in mind that I wasn't really satisfied with the ending or conclusion. On another positive note Rowell made me feel like I was back in middle school and in love. I was rooting for Eleanor and Park throughout the whole story.
Their story (Eleanor and Park) is something you don't want to miss. So pick it up, buy it, borrow it, check it out, or something. You just don't want to miss out on the pure sense of enjoyment coming in waves from this book. Thanks Rowell for a piece of literature that made me feel.
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
Similar Posts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ah, the ending. I felt exactly the same way as you about that, and in fact, I read FANGIRL the day after I read E&R and I wished there was more to that ending, too! So maybe it's a thing with this author, hah. I really like her narrative voice, though, and I love that she writes such quirky, interesting characters. I'm glad you liked it so much despite that ending.
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden