Vampires for Valentines Giveaway Hop & Interview with Susan Squires

Interview with Susan Squires

Vampires for Valentines Giveaway Hop

Kayla: Hello Susan! Thank you for stopping by Simply Kayla’s Book Reviews today! I am excited to hear more about your book One with the Darkness, and the inside process of your finishing this book. Could you tell me a little about how you started writing this book, and an overview of One with the Darkness?

Susan: ONE WITH THE DARKNESS is part of my Companion Vampire series which started with THE COMPANION. Vampirism is a disease, an infection of a parasite in the blood. The parasite gives its host unusual powers and eternal life, but requires he or she drink human blood in exchange. Makes for lots of tortured heroes and heroines.
In this story, a beautiful Italian vampire goes back in time to the Roman Empire to correct a terrible mistake. She watched the barbarian slave who was her lover age and die because vampire society forbids making new vampires. Of course, once she arrives, things aren’t that easy. Since two versions of herself can’t exist in one time, she merges into the Donnatella of ancient Rome and no longer remembers her purpose in coming.  And then there’s the fact that she was one of the chief conspirators in a plot to kill the Emperor Caligula and save Rome from his cruelty. With Caligula closing in on her, and his sisters threatening to confiscate her slave lover, can she decide to live her life differently than she did once before? And if she does, how will that change history?

Kayla: How did the idea of One with the Darkness come to you? 

Susan: The origin of this book was actually fairly unusual for me. I had finished ONE WITH THE SHADOWS, and I really liked one character in it--the Italian Countess vampire who is actually the hero’s mother. She stole every scene she was in. And she had lived a life of regret when Jergan, her one true love, aged and died as she did not.
While I was wondering what to do for my next book, I just couldn’t stop thinking about her. Characters don’t come alive like that every day. So I decided to write her story.  I thought, why not give her a chance to go back and correct the mistake she made? She was a prime driver of the Renaissance, so she would have known Leonardo DaVinci. I had him make her a time machine, and leave it under one of the famous churches in Rome for her to find just after the close of ONE WITH THE SHADOWS in the nineteenth century.

Kayla: In this book Donnatella ends up going back in time. If you could go back in time, would you change anything about your life?

Susan: Actually, I wouldn’t change much. The kind of things you want to change most probably aren’t in your power to change anyway. For instance, my mother died at age 60 of colon cancer and I would have liked to have more time with her, but my going back in time probably wouldn’t have changed that outcome. So you have to concentrate on your own actions. I suppose I would like to change the fact that I let myself be intimidated by the business of writing, and stopped writing and trying to get published for a while. When I finally went back to my passion, I had let years lapse. I should have been more persistent earlier. 

Kayla: Did you end up making any changes to this book that were unexpected?

Susan: When I suddenly realized I had to deal with Donnatella already living in the past when the modern Countess comes back to Rome, and I decided to have them merge into one being, it changed the whole tenor of the book. Now the Donnatella from the future has to fight to make her wishes and thoughts known in the woman she once was. It was like writing two characters in one. That was really fun.

Kayla: Donnatella is madly in love with Jergan but decides not to make him a vampire because it’s against the law, if you would have been Donnatella what would you have done concerning Jergan (your one true love)?

Susan: Damn the laws of vampire society. I would have made him vampire. But even as I say that, its more complicated than just disobeying the law. You have to have a lot of faith in love to believe it can last, not just a lifetime, but forever, since vampires have eternal life. I think she was as much afraid of love dying as she was of vampire law. I like to think I have that kind of courage, and that belief in love.

Kayla: Which character in this book did you have the most fun writing about, and why?

Susan: Well, I loved writing the two versions of Donnatella in one body. But I also loved writing Jergan, her barbarian slave. He’s very alpha. He is NOT happy about being a slave in Rome, and he’s pretty difficult. He vows to be the worst investment she’s ever made. He only comes to respect and love Donatella over time. I enjoyed writing that very reluctant transition. 

Kayla: Do you have any upcoming projects? If so, when can we expect to be seeing them?

Susan: I am really excited about my next series, CHILDREN OF MERLIN. Merlin wanted nothing more than to pass his magic on to the next generations, but his powers were dissipated until they were lost over time. Now the magic is gathering again. The Tremaine family has a shred of Merlin’s DNA. As each of their six children come of age, they are drawn to another with Merlin’s genes, and their latent magic is awakened. Of course, there are also modern descendants of Morgan le Fey who are gathering magic for darker purposes.
The first book, DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC?, is about the bad-boy second brother, Tristram, who doesn’t believe in the Tremaine family destiny. He’s not even sure he’s a Tremaine, he’s so different than his brothers and sisters. He’s drifting around the U.S.A. on his motorcycle doing odd jobs fixing engines when he meets a spitfire rodeo rider named Maggie O’Brian in a diner in the middle of nowhere in Nevada. And that changes everything for both of them.
I’m thinking of making at least the first in the series available electronically in the next month. It takes so long for things to be published by New York these days, I’d be waiting close to two years to see it out there. I guess I’m getting impatient these days. This series is burning a whole in my creative life--I’m already half through writing book two, HE’S A MAGIC MAN.
Watch my website, susansquires.com for news of publication, or join through the members’ section and you’ll get an announcement.

Kayla: For the DA VINCI TIME TRAVEL NOVELS, do you recommend that the books be read in order or not?

Susan: Of course you can read them in any order. But I enjoyed the concept of the heroine of one book passing the knowledge of the time machine to the heroine of the next book. So One with the Darkness is the first one in which Leonardo’s wonderful machine appears, and in TIME FOR ETERNITY, she passes it to Frankie, the vampire bar tender in San Francisco who uses it to go back to the French Revolution and kill the lover who made her vampire, the enigmatic Duc d’Avignon. And Frankie passes it to Lucy Rossano, a timid bookseller in A TWIST IN TIME, who longs to go back to a time when magic is possible. When she lands in middle of a battle in the Dark Ages, she comes back with a wounded Viking warrior and a load of trouble. Lucy passes it, in The MISTS OF TIME to Diana Dearborn, romance writer, who uses it to go back to Camelot, which is nothing like she imagined. This one has several big secrets in it that surprised even my editor, so I won’t say more.

Kayla: What genres of books do you read? Do you have any favorite authors of your own?

Susan: I read just about everything. I love mysteries. My favorite mystery writer is James Lee Burke. I just put a mention for him in DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC?. I read young adult. THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy blew me away. Think I read them all in a week. I have read every Georgette Heyer book at least five times I think, so I’m a fan of Regency Romance. Right now I enjoy Julia Quinn for Regency. Loved her Bridgerton series. But I also read thrillers and women’s fiction and all kinds of romance from contemporary to historical.
Do you have a current favorite book, movie, or song?
Oh dear, I’m very bad at these questions. I loved THE ARTIST, which I hope wins best picture this year. It shows you that stories really are timeless, though a silent movie that’s so engaging might put we wordsmiths out of business. But I also loved MIDNIGHT IN PARIS. Time travel, meeting characters from history....how could I not love it?
Do you prefer paperback books or hardcover?
I like books of all kinds. I consume a lot of books, so paperbacks are most practical. But I have hardbacks of books I know I’ll want to keep, and hardback reference works. Our house is chock full of books. Instead of paperbacks, I often now order electronically. A house can hold only so many books.

Kayla: Do you prefer bookmarks or dog-ears?

Susan: Prepare to hate me, I’m a dog-ear person. I think a dog-eared book looks like people have read and enjoyed it. That’s what a book is supposed to look like--lived in.

Kayla: Are you a morning or a night person?

Susan:Morning. I have never understood people who can write all night. Admired them, but not understood them. My husband is a night person, by the way. It’s a miracle we see much of each other at all, though over time we’ve both adjusted our schedules somewhat.

Kayla: If you could spend the day with anyone who would it be?

Susan: Choices, choices. I’m never good at choosing just one person. Fascinating actor like Lawrence Olivier? Beloved author, maybe Agatha Christie or Jane Austin? Abraham Lincoln? I would like to know how he felt about the hard things he had to do. Famous literary hostess like Gertrude Stein? She was great at encouraging authors, and we authors can always use encouragement. I guess I’m lucky that I’ll never actually have to choose just one....

Kayla: Thank you for taking your time to stop by and let us know about you and your book? It has been a pleasure and I look forward to getting to read the rest of your series! Thank you!



Contessa Donnatella di Poliziano has power, beauty, and—as a vampire—eternal life. Her overwhelming regret is a mistake she made centuries ago when she chose not to transform her one true love, Jergan, into a vampire too. Donnatella’s choice has deprived her of the only true love she’s ever known. But just as all seems lost, the discovery of a 300-year-old note leads her to a gift left by her old friend, Leonardo da Vinci: a machine to take her back in time to rewrite the history of her heart…

Once back in time, Donnatella’s memory of the intervening years is lost. Yet when she sees the breathtaking Jergan from afar, she feels like she has always known him. The instant attraction she feels draws them together. For Donnatella, the romance is tantalizing, awakening a passion that feels both old and new. But as the two fall in love again, a new danger threatens to tear them apart. Now Jergan’s love for Donnatella will be tested in a most perilous way—and if he fails, the two lovers will be separated again…for eternity.


Photobucket
Once, Frankie Suchet loved Henri Foucault—and it cost her everything. For two centuries, she has cursed the French duke who gave her his blood and then disappeared forever. Today, this sexy vampire is a bartender living in San Francisco. Now Frankie has been granted a chance to go back in time…and kill the man who made her what she is. But becoming “Francoise” again means losing all memory of the risk Henri poses to her future…and her heart.

France, 1794. The Reign of Terror is in full swing. From the first, Henri is an enigma, saving Francoise from an angry Parisian mob. Drawn to his seductive vitality, Francoise discovers there is much more to him than she once knew. Henri’s devotion to rescuing innocents from the guillotine is his sole passion—until he encounters Francoise’s intoxicating blend of innocence and warmth. And as their attraction explodes to dangerous desire, the only way to save each other may be to sacrifice their timeless love…


Since beginning her career in 2000 with a Golden Heart from Romance Writers of America for Danegeld, which became her first sale, Susan has published fourteen novels and three novellas. She has been a finalist in the Rita contest for Best Romance Novel, won the Holt Medallion, the Bookseller’s Best and the New England Bean Pot contests and many Reviewer’s Choice awards. Publisher’s Weekly named Body Electric one of the most influential mass market books of 2003 and One with the Shadows a Best book of 2007. Time for Eternity, the first in the DaVinci time travel series, received a starred review from Publisher’s Weekly. Her work has appeared on both the New York Times and USA Today Best Sellers lists. She’s known for breaking the rules of romance writing, but whatever her subject, historical period, or theme, her work always contains some element of the paranormal.
Susan recently gave up her day-job as executive at a Fortune 500 company and nowwrites full time. She does agility and obedience work with her three Belgian Sheepdogs. The training techniques she learned for her dogs don’t seem to work on her husband, Harry, a writer of supernatural thrillers, at least they haven’t for the last thirty-five years.
They currently live at the beach in Southern California.

Now for the Giveaway  

Susan was so sweet, she sent 4 of her autographed books for this giveaway! So there will be 5 winners; 1 person will win the 2 autographed books (One with the Darkness & Time for Eternity); and 4 people will win a copy of One with the Darkness by Susan Squires.... I will be giving away the other two autographed copies she sent in another giveaway (: So be on the lookout. Thanks for stopping by! Thanks Susan!!



To visit Susan's website to learn more about her and her books Click Here.

Click read more to enter the giveaway :D




a Rafflecopter giveaway


49 comments

  1. I've not come across this author before, but these books sound really interesting - definitely ones I'd like to check out!
    Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by (: Happy Hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband and i use to do dog agility and obedience. Then we had kids I ran a Rottie and my husband ran a Si, talk about a pain in the ass dog! but he ran like the wind, my poor little slug ran perfect, but usually being disqualified with time faults once we got to excellence. She did qualify for one leg and the whole place cheered, we had been trying for a long time thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby is a total night person also. Even on his days off he's up all night. It's wonderful when we do see each other though. But at least we don't get sick of each other *laughs*
    I'm in love w/ the covers btw, wow....
    Thanks so much for the chance at 1 of the books, that's just awesome that you sent so many! ♥
    Sebrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to give these books a try! Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading the book blurbs. Susan would be a new author for me, that's why I love these book hops. I've some great new authors to read.
    luvfuzzzeeefaces at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard about these books so thanks for the heads up on them. Finding new books and authors is what makes these hops so much fun.

    miztik_rose@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These books sound really interesting. I haven't read any time traveling vampire stories before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Thanks everyone for stopping by I hope you enjoy the Giveaway Hop and Interview! Happy Hopping (: Hope you win a great book for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that the heroines are vampires and that this has time travel involved, I'm intrigued! Thanks for the chance to win, I'll be adding this to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Books sound like keepers. I have added them to my book wish list.

    jmesparza821(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview. Thanks for this great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Susan's unique story lines...taking a familiar idea and putting a twist on it...vampires travelling in time, Merline's "bad boy" relative and a rodeo chick...all very original! I'm going to visis Susan's site and follow it!

    books4me67 at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had not come across Susan's work before, but have added her to my wish list. Finding new authors is one of the things I love most about blog hops.

    drainbamaged.gyzmo at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not read any of the DA VINCI TIME TRAVEL NOVELS, but I will. I also love that you can read them out of order.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is my first exposure to Susan Squires works. These books seem really great, I am always happy to find a new vampire series to read. Thank you for introducing me to this one.
    June
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to see you all here. The first chapter of DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC? and the cover should be updated on the website next week. I'll post the cover on facebook this weekend. I'd love your opinion. I went with a gorgeous, hot guy-cover, because I happen to like them. Would you prefer couples? Or maybe a more general cover that evokes "magic" without people in it?
    I'd like to hear from you...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the interesting interview! I remember reading The Companion and The Hunger when they first came out and really enjoying the unique take on vampirism! I'm looking forward to checking out the latest books in the series!

    elizabeth @ bookattict . com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Author is new to me but her books defo sound intriging. :)

    kerryannmcdade93@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  21. (BookAttict) Thanks for stopping by! Happy Hopping, I'm glad you enjoyed the Interview.

    ReplyDelete
  22. (Kerry-Ann McDade) I'm glad you've discovered a new author! That's why I love blog hops!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This book sounds great. Would love to read any of these books.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never heard of these before and they sound great. Thanks for introducing them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the great post! Now I have a new author to check out!
    Ashley A
    ash_app@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love t he gift that you guys are givng away and then i love to blog on winning

    desi the blonde at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. These sound like great reads!!!
    Thanx for the giveaway!!

    Samantha Dacier
    samanthadacier @gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. (vadeluna07) Thanks for stopping by :) I think that they sound great also!

    (donnas) You are welcome! Thank you for stopping by and commenting, Happy Hopping :)

    (Ashley Applebee) I love discovering new authors, I'm glad that you have discovered Susan!

    (desitheblonde) Thank you for stopping by, I'm glad you like what is being given away. Good luck, and Happy Hopping

    ReplyDelete
  29. (The ParaNormal Romance Party) Thanks for stopping by, Happy Sunday and Happy Hopping :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds great, enter me, wonderful interview!

    karyngerrard@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey Karen thank you for stopping by, unfortunately I cannot enter you (: In order to enter you just have to fill out the rafflecopter form. Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love Susans books because theres always a paranormal element in them.I love stories containing paranormal whether its someone with an empath ability or a cauldron boiling witch were or vamp I cant get enough .Shes one of my favorite writers .
    flanagan@mebtel.net

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm glad you love Susan's books & she's one of your favorite author's, that is awesome!! Thanks so much for stopping by an commenting, Happy Hopping!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for this interview, I have not heard of this series before, but it looks like a series I will enjoy. I love that Donatella is a Contessa, that's new! And I am with Susan on dog-eared books, dog ears mean books are well read and loved :) Thanks again, and I'm a new blog follower :) Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love Susan Squire books. I haven't seen any recent books. I hope she is still writing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Found out about this blog on tonites Writerspace chat - would love one of Susan's books!
    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  37. (Kai) She is still writing you can visit her website to find out more, but a new book will be coming out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  38. (Di) I had so much fun on Writerspace tonight! Thanks so much for stopping by! All you have to do is fill out the rafflecopter form to be entered to win (:

    ReplyDelete
  39. Book Savvy Babe; Thank you so much for stopping by, I'm glad that you enjoyed the Interview! Susan's books are very different from usual Vampire Books I've read with time travel and gadgets (Awesome) Happy Hopping, I will check out your blog and follow.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for the great interview. I love these blog hops, I get to meet great new to me authors and find new blogs to follow! Win, win all the way around!
    proudarmymom32@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great interview Kayla! I have never read any of her books, but they sound great! Thanks for a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very nice interview! I actually have One with the Darkness, though I haven't read it yet, but I love paranormal romances and I love time travel stories so I'm excited to read it. :)

    Thanks for this giveaway!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  43. What a great interview thank you for sharing! Im always looking for new authors to read!
    Thanks for the great giveaway and fun blog hop
    I love vampires my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love the blurb! Sexy French vampires hold a certain appeal:)

    Thank you for this wonderful post!

    Best wishes for 2012!:)

    Sarah Bibi Setar

    ReplyDelete
  45. Sounds wonderful and thankyou for having this giveaway!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love Susan Squires.I would love to read either of these books. Thanks forthe chance.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What an awesum giveaway! Hope I win :) I never win but u never know, I am feeling lucky lately..
    Thanx for giveaways..

    ReplyDelete
  48. Susan's books have been on my TBR. I enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hey everyone that has entered this Giveaway! Sorry for being slack on commenting back, I just started a new job and have been super busy. But I want to thank you guys for entering and commenting! Good luck to all :D

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.