My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship--or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with six months to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother's diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family's destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate stars scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren't safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood -- not even from each other.
My Review:
OMG, OMG, OMG this book had a MAJOR cliffhanger. This book left me in a "I cannot believe that just happened" state. It's going to be really hard to write this review because for one I liked this book so much, and two I have so many mixed emotions about it.
This book is definitely 5 stars, I loved every second of it. Jessica Spotswood is AMAZING. This is her debut novel, and she gave me everything that I was looking for in a wonderful book. I felt like I was transported into this world and living in it. I felt so close to the characters and related to them about a lot of things like sibling rivalry and fights. Being the oldest is the hardest and I really relate to Cate in this aspect.
The Cahill sisters are all witches living in a town ruled by "The Brotherhood", which is a group of religious authority that basically rules over people's lives. In this town girls can't be too smart, stubborn, or eccentric or they are considered "Witches" and sent of to Harwood (A horrible place where girls accused of witchery are taken). With Tess, Maura, and Cate being witches it is very hard to fit in, and when their mother dies Cate made a promise to her Mother, which is to protect her sisters no matter what.
During this story Cate has many conflicts like whether she's going to get married or join the sisterhood and she has a very limited time to choose. There are two guys who want to marry her but she is in love with only one of them.
I love, love, loved this story! I mean it doesn't get any better than this. I love the Salem feeling setting. I've always loved stories of witches that have taken place in the past and this book gave me just what I needed. Action, love, betrayl, confusion, and responsibility all wrapped up in this wonderful book to pack a punch that leaves you needing more. I am officially addicted, and I can't wait until the second book comes out because I have to find out what happened. I suggest that you read this wonderful Debut novel by Jessica Spotswood. This book contains a major cliffhanger :/ and I wanted to know more... just warning you.
View all my reviews
Post a Comment