Interview and Giveaway with Kimberley Johnson

Blurb:
WHAT DOES IT FEEL LIKE TO LOSE YOUR VIRGINITY? Seventy-two men and women answer that burning question. Hundreds of years of collective experience answer the questions every virgin has. THE VIRGIN DIARIES is a book about sex that really isn't about sex at all. Rather, it's about the feelings associated with that first time: wondering about it, worrying about it, the expectations, the surprises and the disappointments. Within these pages are the recollections of seventy-two people, young and old, gay and straight, who responded to the call for answers. This candid collection of stories provides a unique opportunity to be a fly on the wall. There is no commentary. The stories stand on their own, allowing the reader to form his or her own conclusions. Whether you are a virgin and desire to make an informed decision, a parent faced with "the talk" or are interested in reading detailed accounts of one of life's most personal experiences, THE VIRGIN DIARIES offers confidential insights and illustrates the commonalities we all share: our hopes, dreams, fears and insecurities. It shows that we are all human and therefore, all connected


Amazon / Barnes & Noble
-For more Click Here to view excerpts of The Virgin Diaries.

Click Here to see my review of The Virgin Diaries.

Interview
Kayla: Hey Kimberley! Thank you for being willing to talk to me about The Virgin Diaries (which is very interesting).

Kimberley: Thank YOU, it’s my pleasure!

Kayla: I just want to know how did you and your mother come up with the idea to put together this book? I’ve never came across a book like this before.

Kimberley: One evening in 2004, my mother and I were having a conversation and off the top of my head, I said that it would be interesting to see a documentary where people described what it felt like to lose their virginity. We started to seriously discuss the possibilities and my mom thought it would make a great book. My mother and writing partner, Ann Werner writes fiction thrillers. She told me “If you don’t make this book, I will.” So I set out to collect the stories. At first I only interviewed women. I got a story from a lesbian which prompted me to include homosexuals (they have first times too) and I also realized I needed to include men. I would drop the project and pick it up after a while. In the summer of 2005, my mother joined me in collecting the stories and that’s when we put the call out on the Internet. We knew we had a great idea because the stories we got were so candid and thoughtfully written. We wound up with seventy-two wonderful stories, equally divided between gender.

Kayla: When did you become interested in informing teens about the subject of sex, and why?

Kimberley: I remember what it was like for me. When I was a young teen and even a pre-teen, I was curious about sex. I had questions. I HAD NO DESIRE to have it but it was all over TV, movies and books. I believe it’s natural to be curious. There are many mixed messages, especially in the US where sex is concerned. It’s either dirty and a sin or sacred and Holy. There is a whole middle ground that is often ignored or purposely avoided. I don’t understand this. The way I see it is that sex is a natural part of life. Above all else, teens are people. They may be young but that’s no reason to pretend sex doesn’t exist. Parents have an extremely difficult time when it comes to their own children. It’s an awkward subject. I get VERY frustrated when I hear adults say that kids shouldn’t know or talk about sex. This is not a realistic attitude. I believe that it’s always better to have information. Teens have a lot of opinions and questions. Often times teens get information from peers that is simply not accurate. I hoped that by creating The Virgin Diaries, I would help teens and virgins to get a better idea of what sex is really like, the good, bad and the ugly. Most importantly, I did not want to tell anyone what they should do or think. The Virgin Diaries has no commentary or agenda other than to inform through the stories. It does not promote nor discourage sex. Seventy-two people share what it was like for them emotionally as well as physically and the reader can form their own conclusions.

Kayla: What advice do you like to give teens about the subject of Virginity?

Kimberley: I don’t provide advice in the book. The best advice I can give is that it’s always better to learn about sex before you start engaging in it. You can’t start driving until you learn the rules of the road (for good reason). Understand the risk of STDs and pregnancy. Don’t only listen to your friends, they don’t always have accurate information. Most say to share your first time with someone you love and who respects you. That’s great advice but it doesn’t always happen that way. I always say, the best decision is the informed one.

Kayla: What kind of feedback do you usually get from The Virgin Diaries?

Kimberley: I have received wonderful feedback from all kinds of people. Teen and adult virgins have been especially appreciative. Baby Boomers (an unexpected audience) have praised it as well as parents and men. A man who’s a virgin at 42 thanked me for making the book for him. A mom said “The Virgin Diaries is book about sex that really isn’t about sex at all, rather the feelings associated with the first time…” It makes me feel really good to know that people have gotten something positive out of the stories I collected.

Kayla: Write one sentence describing why someone should read The Virgin Diaries.

Kimberley: The Virgin Diaries provides insights on the emotional side of first time sex that no other book offers!

Kayla: If you could say anything to readers of The Virgin Diaries what would it be?

Kimberley: I created the book for virgins. I hope that the book helps anyone who has questions or wants to make an informed decision before embarking on their own sexual journey. Sex can be wonderful and exciting but it can also be sad, scary and painful.
It’s very complex and confusing (even after you lose your virginity.) Your first time is YOUR decision. It’s an important one. Make it an informed one!

Kayla: Thanks Kimberley for chatting with me, I wish you the best. I think you are doing a great thing in trying to inform more teens about the subjects of sex and Virginity that many people don’t have the guts to talk about.



Photobucket

Kimberley A. Johnson is the author of The Virgin Diaries and Ain't No Sunshine: Men Reveal The Pain Of Heartbreak. She runs ARK Stories Publishing with her mother and writing partner Ann Werner.
Acted as a police officer on the NBC drama Days Of our Lives for seven years where the make-up crew referred to her as Diva Cop. She is currently collecting stories and articles for blogs to be books on teen sex and body and self image.



Here is the link to Kimberley's Website: www.arkstories.com

Click Here for The Virgin Diaries excerpts.

Giveaway
Kimberley was very generous and agreed to do an Interview and a giveaway of 2 Kindle copies of her book The Virgin Diaries, which I read and reviewed. Here is the link to my review: Click Here. I really enjoyed the Interview and learned a lot of things from reading The Virgin Diaries.


a Rafflecopter giveaway

-Please feel free to leave comments for me or Kimberley below. I would love to hear from you guys about what you think, and I think she would too!


Post a Comment

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.