Title: Wolfcry
Author: Amelia Atwater-Rhoades
Pages: 198
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Release Date: September 12, 2006
Rating: 3 Stars
Oliza Shardae Cobriana is heir to Wyvern's Court, home of the avians and serpiente, whose war with each other ended just before Oliza was born. But hatred is slow to die, and not everyone likes the expressive way in which Urban, a serpiente dancer, is courting Oliza--especially not Marus, her reserved avian suitor. And when Urban is found beaten in avian land, Oliza is filled with despair. How can she be expected to lead a unified society if her people still cannot live peacefully together?
Before Oliza can try to mend the rift in Wyvern's Court, she is kidnapped by mercenaries, who take her deep into wolves' territory. As Wyvern princess, all Oliza has ever wanted is to see a future where she can find love and take a mate without inciting another war. The time is now. She owes it to her people--and to herself.
Where to start-- Oliza was unlike any character I've ever read about. It was odd; being in her head was much like being in my head. I've never been able to name a character that I relate to until Oliza came along. Oliza is the daughter of Danica Shardae and Zane Cobriana, which means she is both Avian and Serpiente.
I related to her because I know what it feels like to be half of one thing and then half of something else. I'm bi-racial so I could understand her pain when she was conflicted to act a certain way when immersed in each race.
The thing about this book though was that I didn't connect with it like I did the rest. It just seemed rushed to me, and at certain parts I was confused as to what was happening. Also, some parts felt repetitive and I didn't really care for that either.
All in all this book was okay. It was about Oliza's journey, she was expected to be the Queen of both courts but when she is forced to take a mate to become King and rule beside of her an unexpected romance arises between her and a certain she-wolf. I admired Amelia's boldness for including a lesbian romance in a Young Adult novel.
While I enjoyed this book as being a continuance of one of my favorite series, I didn't really care for it that much. Maybe I'll re-read it and change my mind someday, but as of now that's not the case.
Rhoades is still one of my favorite Authors, so anything she publishes I will definitely give a try.
Wolfcry by Amelia Atwater-Rhoades
Similar Posts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm glad to hear that you related well to the main character. Bummer about the book's plot not being very great :/
ReplyDeleteSuper bummer :/ but you're right at least I related to the main character! Thanks for stopping by Stephanie!!!
DeleteI'd be terrified to read a book that sounded like my own head.
ReplyDeleteIt was terrifying Katie, also very strange lol...
DeleteI keep meaning to read this author but have just not gotten around to it yet. People keep trying to get me to do it, though...this one does sound pretty intriguing! I'm glad you liked it overall, despite a few criticisms.
ReplyDeleteWendy @ The Midnight Garden
Wendy! You would love Amelia, she is brilliant and her writing is magical. I suggest you start with Hawksong, it's my favorite!
Delete