Gypsy Jumping Narrative


Refusing to become an adult was something I experienced in my 23rd year of life. I had reached a point in life where I was tired of the mundane: responsibilities, bills, work, and school. I felt confined, like I was in a cage, and I was ready to break free of it all. I brought a whole new meaning to the word procrastination, as it wasn’t just a homework assignment I was putting off but growing up and becoming an adult. From my experiences, I’ve come to realize that procrastination is a major cause of stress and anxiety.
            For the past five years I lived in Cullowhee, NC; in the heart of the Western Carolina mountains. Towards the end of my chapter in Cullowhee I grew very restless, impatient, and impulsive towards my living situation. From the desire to buy an RV and live as a gypsy entrepreneur on the side of the road, to interviewing and getting a position as a flight attendant. It is safe to say I couldn’t make up my mind with what my next move would be.
            January 2017 was when I decided to move to Bradenton, FL on a whim. I got a job as a Pool and Beach Server at The Ritz Carlton in Sarasota, FL on my second day as a new Floridian with the help of one of my roommates. Working at The Ritz Carlton and living ten minutes down the road from Siesta Key, the number one beach in the United States was an amazing feeling. This feeling was very short lived. As I lounged on the beach on a beautifully partly cloudy day with just the right amount of breeze I had the urge to use the restroom, so I did what any true North Carolinian would do… squat.
            Squatting is exclusively a North Carolinian thing for a reason that I didn’t quite understand until I stepped into a pile of sand spurs and a red ant nest at the same time; I had never felt that kind of agonizing pain before in my entire life. I knew in that very moment the universe was conversing with me, and what it was saying was to go home. Still after this incident I remained stubborn and stuck to my guns to prove a point that I could live in Florida away from most of my family and friends. I felt alone and isolated within such a vibrant and crowded city, what a paradox.
            As I walked into work my last day living in Florida, I had no idea it was going to be my last day living there. It was a normal day in the life of a server until experienced my first anxiety attack where I couldn’t stop crying, shaking uncontrollably, or catch my breath. Not having my family and friends there that I connect with on a deeper level, who I could relate to without words being spoken was unbearable. As I drove back to my apartment after being sent home from work I had already visualized packing and making a fourteen-hour drive back to North Carolina. It took me less than an hour to pack everything and get on the road.
            Coming back home was the hardest yet most rewarding choice I have ever made for myself. Granted living at home with my mother and teenage sister was a big challenge, but I learned a lot about myself. I learned that freedom and independence are luxuries and procrastination means taking those luxuries for granted. I am proud to say that although I had to return to a less than ideal situation, I made the best of it. I got a job at Texas Road House here in Winston-Salem, have recently moved into my own place after 8 months of planning and budgeting, and I have returned to school to accomplish my goal of becoming a Literary Publicist. Through committing to my responsibilities and re-prioritizing I have acquired this new sense of peace.
            Paying bills on time, turning in homework before its due, and arriving to work ten minutes early are the things I find pleasure in doing now. The process of being proactive and staying on top of things has opened up the door to a peace of mind that I never experienced while procrastinating. There is a price to pay for actions and behaviors; proactivity has paid me in clarity, peace, and happiness.  

Post a Comment

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.