Title: Snakecharm
Author: Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Pages: 167
Publisher: Laurel Leaf
Release Date: June 13, 2006
Rating: 5+ Stars
Zane Cobriana, cobra shapeshifter, thanks the gods every day for Danica, his hawk pair bond, and the peace their union has brought to the avian and serpiente. Soon, Danica will have a child to carry on their royal line. But what should be a happy time is riddled with doubt.
Syfka, an ancient falcon, has arrived from Ahnmik claiming that one of her people is hidden in their midst. The falcons are more powerful than the avians and serpiente combined, and Syfka shows nothing but contempt for Zane and Danica's alliance. To Zane's horror, his own people seem just as appalled as Syfka is by the thought of a mixed-blood child becoming heir to the throne.
Is Syfka's lost falcon just a ruse to stir up controversy among them? The truth lies somewhere in their tangled pasts and the search will redefine Zane and Danica's fragile future.
In the second installment of the Kiesha'ra series there are many surprising and twisting events that take place. If I had to pick a favorite out of all of the books in this series, this one would be the one I chose as my favorite. The main reason why is because it focuses a lot more on Danica and Zane than in any other book.
No, Amelia doesn't let Danica and Zane as a couple drown the book in gushy, lovey dovey-ness. She merely incorporates my favorite two characters more in this book than any other. I love the fantasy world that Atwaters created, and if I ever had the chance to enter the world of the Avians and Serpiente you bet your butt I would.
In this book Danica and Zane are both growing closer, as well as their people. While they have a long way to go in accepting each other they are making progress by keeping the peace in what used to be a generational old war.
Their people, both the Serpiente and the Avians are having a hard time accepting and trusting one another and attempts are made in this book to spark the war that killed so many of their loved ones back up again. With patience, loyalty, love, and determination Danica and Zane squash each attempt.
Danica is branching out, trying to leave her comfort zone bubble. She makes attempts to be more affectionate, and to immerse herself in the life of her mate as well as his people. Zane is also trying to keep his actions and thoughts under wraps while around his lovely hawk's people in attempt to please her. These two are all about compromise, and give and take. They also find that each other's races aren't as repulsing as they first thought.
I don't want to spoil it for you but there are a couple of moments where my heart was wrenched, and there were also moments that made me want to cry tears of joy. This is one of those books where you get attached to the world, the characters, where it feels real to you, you hate the moment when it ends but you can't stop yourself from devouring each delicious page. Then even long after the story ends you still find yourself thinking about it, wondering how those characters are faring. It's a tale that will stick with you.
For an enjoyable read that you are sure not to forget, pick up Atwater's, Kiesha'ra series; after we can even have book talk... because you'll be dying to talk to someone about this stunning story.
Snakecharm by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Similar Posts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I read the omnibus for this series a long time ago. It got to a point where it high fantasy for me to appreciate it. I do love the idea of the "tribes" or groups of this world. The good for me though is I dislike snakes but I totally liked them in here.
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas, Kayla!
Ah well I'm glad there was a positive somewhere in there for you! Thank you for reading and commenting on my review Braine! Merry Late Christmas to you, I hope it was great!
Delete