Friendship

Am I alone in saying, "There aren't many people who you can completely let your guard down with."? 

Friendship.

Do you ever, on a daily basis think of what a friendship actually is? What does it include? How long does it last? 

All of that good stuff.

I do. I wonder, I ponder, and I come to my own conclusions based solely on my own opinions. So, if you see something you don't agree with, that is definitely okay. Like I said, my posts include my own opinions and you as a person are entitled to your own opinions as well.

I just like to make that clear because I absolutely hate more than anything to offend anyone, or to make them feel like I'm stating my answers as the only answers out there. Totally not my intent. Just voicing some of my thoughts.

Back to the subject I so easily drifted away from, friendship.

To me friendship is when you first of all have a connection with someone. After than connection is felt you then move onto and notice that you relate on a lot of different levels. You then begin to, after spending quality time, trust this person. Trust in any friendship is key.

Communication is also a key component. When you are friends with someone, you often make sure you text, call, or communicate with that friend quite frequently.

And most of the time you end up hanging out with that person, a lot of the time anyways. Now that I have stated the obvious, apparent, outline of friendship... let's delve deeper shall we.

Let's discuss different kinds of friendships. I myself categorize them into four different areas starting with: acquaintance friends, regular friends, best friends, one sided friends.

-Acquaintance friends are those people who you have coincidentally seen frequently and just become accustomed to saying hey to, or carrying on small chit chat with so said person.

-Regular friends are just your ordinary friend. You're not too close, not too distant. 

-Best friends, well you know, with your best friend you tell them everything that is going on personally with you, keep them updated, make sure you know what's going on in their lives, make them keep you updated, communicate daily, hang out regularly. You know, best friend stuff.

-One sided friendship, something I cannot stand. A one sided friend is someone who is only concerned with themselves, and what will benefit them in the long run. You may try to communicate your feelings to this friend and end up with an non listening ear, and then end up with an ear full of what is wrong with them. Coming off that they don't really care about you're problems, although they never said it. Actions do speak louder than words. They just want to have something to do with you when it's convenient or benefits them is some way, shape, or form.

Why did I bring this up at all? Well, I was evaluating my friends this past week and just noticed some things I thought would be worthy and interesting to bring up.

What do you think? Would you agree or disagree that these opinions are somewhat rational? How do you feel about the whole "friendship" thing? I'd love to find out, so let me know and we can get the discussion going.


4 comments

  1. Interesting post! One of my best friends is actually going through some rough patches with one of her other good friends, so I too have been thinking about the meaning of friendship. I agree with you that there are few people you can truly let your guard down with. Over the past year or so I've really come to realize that it's quality over quantity : )

    xox,
    anna-lamode.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that all these types of friends exist. I find with most of my closest friends, we might switch between the types - grow closer or farther apart depending on how much time we're spending together, and be more or less selfish depending on what each of us needs at the moment. But it's always good to reflect on all of your relationships and make sure that none of them are hurting you - you deserve only the best!

    belle + compass

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree quality is definitly far better a jem than quantity. After 3 years 4 months and 3 days who I thought was my bestdriend walked out of my life without warning. I asked myself "who can I trust now?" and I still don't know the answered to that question. The important thing is that I still do believe in friendship and the byproduct called love. I have definitely learned some good lessons concerning more intimate relationship. As far as friendships go, I am striving to be a better friend to those people I dare call friends after I haven't given them much of my time the last three years. FRIENDS ARE IMPORTANT!! why? Because we all need people to witness us live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've come to accept that my friends are simply my books.. As for friends that is actually worth my time? I can count them in one hand... Everyone else is probably an acquaintance and I have no time for that.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.