Racism At It's Finest.

www.wehearit.com
Racism is and probably will always be present in the world. But still, every time I encounter it I am enraged but at the same time I feel bad for those people who hold such hate in their hearts. Because it takes so much energy to hate and be angry. You see I just for the life of me can't understand how you can hate someone simply because of the color of their skin.

It is so ignorant and closed minded and it burns me to my very core. People like that literally disgust me. What brought this discussion on was me going to one of my favorite restaurants in town called Bogarts. I go there all of the time and I've never received dirty looks or been treated badly but today I felt so uncomfortable.

This was my brother's first time going to this restaurant, he is in town visiting me and right when we walked in people were openly staring with looks of disbelief on their face. I'm pretty good at reading people so yeah. Well we sat down and this older couple kept giving us dirty looks and whispering the whole time they ate. They left and another table was sat, and to my complete and utter disbelief they looked over at us waited a second and got up and left. The waitress tried to ask them for their order and they said they were going elsewhere. I was astonished that people would actually act that way. 

I mean my brother and I are both half black and half white, but even if we were fully black it shouldn't matter. We literally felt so uncomfortable that we didn't finish our food and left. That's how much tension was in the air. I've never experienced such hate radiating towards me from people I didn't even know and the person I am couldn't help but feel sorry for how much their hearts were filled with hate, whether they chose for it to be that way or not. I guess I try to see the good in everyone. 

I just feel that making another human being feel bad for the color of their skin is wrong. But there are just some people and things that will never change, and there is really nothing I can do about it but be a better person myself. I just wish I could change that ya know? 

2 comments

  1. You know, I grew up in Idaho. There's very few black people who live there. I think there were two black kids in my high school. Maybe.

    But there are a lot of hispanics (they come and work in the fields) and I remember seeing a lot of terrible racism directed to them. I live in the South now, and I've had hatred and racism directed at me because I'm white.

    I only say this because really, in reality, it's never going to go away. People are always going to hate. It makes me very sad too.

    But I think we can raise awareness, practice patience and tolerance, and change how much hatred actually happens. Change starts somewhere. While the animosity and holier-than-thou attitude will always come with humanity, that doesn't mean it has to be strong. Every little bit helps, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's just horrible, esp when the hate is directed at you.. sorry you had to experience that... people just need to see past the physical and discover the beautiful human being you are :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.