The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

Title: The Mime Order
Author: Samantha Shannon
Pages: 528
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: January 27, 2015

Paige Mahoney has escaped the brutal penal colony of Sheol I, but her problems have only just begun: many of the fugitives are still missing and she is the most wanted person in London.

As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city’s gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take center stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner.

Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. But where is Warden? Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided. Will Paige know who to trust? The hunt for the dreamwalker is on.

For some odd reason words escape me as I'm trying to write this review. Was it good? Yes, it was good. I'm just not sure where to start with all of events that took place toward the very end. No no, I will not spoil the reading community at large but just know you are in for some major twists and turns. 

Another thing I want to mention is that I've never seen someone describe things as well as Samantha Shannon seems to. I don't know what her secret is but I'm telling you she can describe something gruesome and you have to admire how well she does it. I am enchanted by the detail, world building, subtle romance, and mystery that Shannon has yielded in both The Bone Season and The Mime Order.

I found myself rushing through because of my impatience. I wanted to know what was going to happen and I couldn't quite seem to get down to the truth of things fast enough.  Paige astounded me in this book with her new wielded clairvoyant powers. Jax... well he's still a pompous prick. Warden making a return in the book thrilled me to no ends, he is brutally honest at all times, realistic, foreign (an otherworldly race), and is amazing with his words. I must admit that I am very fond of his character. As for the side characters like Nick, Nadine, Eliza, Zeke, and many others. I'll leave it at this, it gets interesting. 

My next move is to re-read this book, a little more slowly this time to catch all of the lovely detail I missed. I feel like I'm going to enjoy it even more the second time around. As for Shannon's next book which I do not know the name of, bring it on. I'm eager to follow the rest of this series and see where it ends up. 

3 comments

  1. High, girl!
    While I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
    you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this mortal sinner yeeeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear - neet-o, packaged, concise.

    Nevertheless, wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no
    zooillogical-expiration-date?
    An IQ much higher than K2?
    An extraordinarily, anti-establishment victory??
    Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
    (with a most excellent detector of bull§ht):

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
    God believes in you.

    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
    from a passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
    nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
    of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

    Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. High, girl!
    While I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
    you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this mortal sinner yeeeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear - neet-o, packaged, concise.

    Nevertheless, wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no
    zooillogical-expiration-date?
    An IQ much higher than K2?
    An extraordinarily, anti-establishment victory??
    Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
    (with a most excellent detector of bull§ht):

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
    God believes in you.

    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
    from a passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
    nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
    of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

    Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big House.

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

Bengal Reads. Theme by STS.